Saturday, February 16, 2008

Betta Splenden

Around two-three months ago we were given two bettas from an old friend of mine whom we have just visited after so long. There they are, one red Crowntail and a blue-gray Halfmoon, put in separate two small pet container.

We love them both, but I personally like the crowntail. I've never seen this type of betta since my childhood. Of course, nowadays we do not keep bettas to pit them against each other. Yet I saw several old-type siamese fighter bettas lining in pet stores.

The first days of caring them was a bit challenging. Bettas (probably like most other fishes) are sensitive to water quality and pH. One day I sprinkled dry food on the red and left it for work. At night I saw the water was foggy so I changed it. On the next day Red showed symptoms of illness. I didn't know at first but then I suspect it had to be the water which was contaminated with uneaten food. I read about this then and found out that Red is catching a Fin Rot disease.

Okay, so me, Her and Gabe went to a pet store and grabbed a "blue potion", and give Red two days treatment. Red's health gradually returns to normal and so we felt happy and relieved.

Gabe loves to feed them everyday, he even takes out dirt, poop, and leftover food, while his parents do the cleaning every two days.

By the way, if you are looking for great looking or contest-class bettas, I heartily recommend you to my dear friend Yono (his website at GM Betta). He is not just a professional betta breeder, but also a jury member of IBC (International Betta Congress).

Go betta, go!

No comments: