Sunday, October 26, 2008

Transformers Knock Offs!

Hate 'em, like 'em. Either way, they’re all over the store shelves. Gabe was once given by his grandfather on last year’s birthday, a particular Optimus Prime. It actually resembles the original G2 Optimus Prime, but in different color scheme.

So recently I tried on a few other Cybertron Legends Class knock offs, since they’re sold at a mere eight thousand rupiahs. Sadly, within just a minute out of packaging, they soon broke into pieces when we try transforming into alt modes. I had to patch up their joints so they would stay together, at least when not moved.



Just yesterday I found more knock offs being sold at Hypermart, surprisingly there were another Optimus Prime this time from Armada Series. I was intrigued to grab one and compare it with the original, but I soon laid my eyes on one particular toy called TRAINEMPRISE. I’ve seen the original but could not recall what it is. The mold is quite detailed, and so I took this one instead.

I was right, the Trainemprise is a direct copy from Transformers Universe Railracer (a combination of 6 Micromasters Railbots). The differences are in the head mold, and one of the Railbot which form the left arm. Color scheme also differ from the original releases both Hasbro and TakaraTomy.

I haven’t opened it so I could not tell at what quality this toy rates.
Update: I have opened it out of curiosity, and while the plastic quality is just okay, the molds do not exactly imitate the original. The detailing is visually okay, but most of the Railbots do not have movable arms! Only two which form the arms do have. Combinations are very limited just to form the Railracer robot, I simply couldn't combine the trains and the weapons into super train. There are no connectors and the holes don't even fit.

Generally speaking, if you really have to buy knock offs instead of the originals, you might want to consider these:
  • Most are made of lower quality plastics. Higher price tag could mean better quality plastic and more detailed sculpt.
  • Perhaps to avoid copyright infringments, manufactures make slight differences on their molds. However, I do find boxed knock offs directly copied from the originals down to their joint molds, but visibly measured far less in quality. The point is, pay careful attention in their details and features.
  • Don't go for the money excuse. They look cheap and cost less at first, but eventually you'd be better saving for the originals instead.
  • Knock offs are average choice for experimenting or practicing with your sculpt painting hobby.
The final verdict: knock offs are a definite no, no!

No comments: