Friday, December 26, 2008

Imagining Utopia

Sometimes I daydream about utopia. It is a place where, or a time when people live in harmony, peaceful, and loving. I remembered my Thought Adjuster asked, where would I go from here? I said, a place where there is joy and love. I concluded that it was my view of an utopia.

Of course that was in contrast to what I am now seeing these days, where people would lie to each other, envy with each other, hate one another, they would even kill our own kind.

Gosh, I’m seeing these traits right down in my workplace. I’ve seen people who want to know all the things that I do and have all the things that I have, yet they keep their own things to themselves. It would prove so hard to get help from persons with a trait like this, yet they would be so persistent to get what they want.

And not to mention the many hypocrites, who see the world only as a two sided coin, and guess what? Theirs are always right. Is it only me whining, or there are too many wolves in sheep clothing?

But I’d like to ask a stupid question to humanity, is it hard to actualize utopia? Not just dreaming or imagining.. but realizing, creating. Can we? If we can, why haven’t we, already?

Perhaps we still haven’t gotten out of the 20th century mindset, an old world paradigm, I would say, a worldview which is centered on FEAR. We’re evolving towards better minds, inclusive thinking, progressive cultures. We are moving away from FEAR to LOVE, from separation to unity, but maybe old habits die hard. Maybe Fear’s gripe is still too strong for a culture to move away from it.

I still remember long time ago, some men rejected female as being a president.

I remember some religious fanatics hijacked several air planes and crashed them on to skyscrapers and buildings, killing thousands of people.

I remember, in a bookstore, a mother yelled at her children not to go near a particular religion books section.

Like it or not, things are changing for the better. Fear is doing what’s best to keep the flock inside, but I believe the world at large has no longer in favor for it. Love is a powerful and contagious force, which sooner or later will prevail. It already is in several developed countries and higher cultures.

Indonesia, why not imagine utopia for a start?

No comments: